New SAGlobal ProjAX (now known as Projects+) Feature for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 – Qualification Tracking
SAGlobal has recently introduced a new feature into our ProjAX (now known as Projects+) extensions for the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Service Industries ERP solution called Qualification Tracking. ProjAX (now known as Projects+) is SAG’s family of vertical extensions for Microsoft Dynamics AX that we’ve developed to further extend the out-of-the-box functionality to meet the unique needs of several vertical markets that we pursue.
This particular feature is targeted at the Architecture & Engineering (A&E) market, and it allows these firms to track their qualifications and experience related to certain work that they might be bidding on. Many business development proposals that A&E firms generate are what are known as a Qualification-based Proposals. In essence, these organizations submit proposals that answer key questions around what qualifications they have to perform the work that is required.
In many cases, A&E firms also have to fill out a form, called Standard Form 330 (or SF330), that lays out their qualifications. What qualifies the firm to bid on the work typically includes similar projects they’ve completed and which of their employees participated on these projects. The major qualification related sections of the SF 330 form include:
- An org chart of the proposed resource team
- Resumes of the individuals on the proposed team, including their role, years of experience, education, professional qualifications, and relevant projects they’ve worked on
- Example projects that your firm has completed that best illustrate the organization’s qualifications for the project, including the roles of key personnel in those projects
The data that is requested around the A&E firm’s qualifications requires that these firms mine their project data to identify similar projects, understand what services were provided, and get a detailed account of which team members participated in those projects.
To address this need, SAGlobal has built a Qualification Tracking system within Dynamics AX that allows A&E firms to track very detailed information about their projects, which can then be mined to find similar projects and the qualifications of their personnel during the proposal process. The Qualification Tracking system in Dynamics AX helps A&E firms track information such as:
- Detailed project classification attributes
- Services that the firm provided on that project
- Highlights of the project that were unique or important
- Awards that were won for the project
- Which employees participated in the project and what their role was
- Which subcontractors were used, for what services, and how many hours
- And much, much more!
Having tracked all of this information about their projects in Dynamics AX, employees can then use the Advanced Query tool in Dynamics AX to mine this project data to understand their qualifications for the proposal they’re working on. An example would be to perform a query such as:
Show me all projects where:
- Client type = Federal Government
- Contract type = Prime
- Contract value = > $250,000
- Location = California
- Market = Transportation
- Facility type = Bridge
- Facility attribute (length) = > 500 meters
- Services provided = Planning & Design
Dynamics AX will then return all projects that meet these query attributes, which you can then use to further investigate the degree of similarity with the project you’re bidding on. From there, you can also see what employees worked on the project, in what roles, for how many hours, etc… So you have all of the information that you need right at your fingertips to complete the SF330 form and submit your proposal.